Stores sell various types of decorative plaster for interior wall decoration. They differ in composition, namely the element. According to the consistency, the products are divided into dry powder, which must be diluted with water beforehand, and a ready-made pasty mixture. It can be immediately applied to the surface. Regardless of the type of product, it has several advantages compared to other finishing coatings.
Features of the material
There are several reasons why it is beneficial to use this material in any room, including the bathroom and balcony.
- Additional sound insulation. Of course, the noise cannot be completely removed, but you will create an additional barrier.
- Resistance to moisture and temperature changes.
- Leveling irregularities on the wall.
- Long service life.
- Decorativeness. With the help of simple tools, you can create a wide variety of effects, even stone imitation.
- Possibility of wet cleaning.
- It does not absorb odors.
- And breathable.
Applying the interior finish without problems is carried out on almost any surface. The material fits well on concrete, plasterboard, brick, wood, stone.
Decorative plaster consists of the same components as in ordinary plaster – cement, lime and sand. The manufacturer adds various fillers to the decorative plaster. Thanks to such a difference in decorative plaster, an attractive effect and three-dimensional buxic appearance are achieved.
Advantages of decorative plaster
Decorative plaster has long and firmly settled in the hearts of designers for a long list of advantages over other finishing materials. The advantages of decorative plaster include:
- Unique and unique appearance.
- Coating of increased strength and sound insulation, is not afraid of moisture, temperature changes and smells. At the same time, it remains vapor permeable, which has a positive effect on the concrete base.
- There is no need for long-term preparation of the surface for coating, since the plaster itself fulfills these properties. Eliminates surface defects and irregularities.
- Due to the safety of the components, practicality and durability, the coating is suitable for the decoration of premises of various purposes, apartments of allergy sufferers, as well as for the exterior decoration of a country house.
Composition of decorative plaster
Decorative plaster includes environmentally safe components. Consumer qualities and use in different target premises depend on the composition. According to the binder in the composition, it is customary to divide plaster into 4 types.
· Textured decorative plaster.
Refers to relief types of plaster. Fillers are natural fibers (linen, wood, mica, granite and stone chips). The surface of such plaster differs in texture and volume, imitating natural stone, natural leather, wood and other materials. The relief of the coating is visible immediately after using the plaster. The coating is strong, waterproof, which does not interfere with the movement of air.
Universal mixture based on acrylic resin. It can be painted in any color with the help of pigment paste. Products are sold ready-made, packed in a bucket. It has the following properties:
- Dries quickly.
- Thanks to the resin, the mixture is plastic, easy to apply, and can easily be painted with color pastes.
- Suitable for rooms with a high level of humidity and temperature changes.
- Durability – service life up to 15 years.
- The finished surface is easy to clean.
And there are also three disadvantages to the mixture. It catches fire easily, can crack under the influence of ultraviolet light and has poor vapor permeability.
The composition of this decorative plaster includes lime, cement, mineral particles, stone chips and clay. Below are some features:
- The coating is most in demand, as it is inexpensive and easy to apply.
- It is sold as a dry powder.
- The finished layer is not afraid of moisture and frost, is resistant to abrasion and is the most ecological of all.
- Before work, the wall must be properly primed and all irregularities must be puttied.
- The most affordable option in terms of price and variety of applications.
Three more advantages: fire safety, ease of care, breathability. He is only afraid of washing under water pressure. The colors are mostly light.
Disadvantages: short-lived (maximum term – 10 years), the possibility of painting only after complete drying, as well as low elasticity.
Another flexible, durable compound based on resins. Its only drawback is its high price. Otherwise, it is an impeccable material for decorating the interior walls of apartments and houses. It contains various fillers, pigments and antifungal additives. Advantages include:
- air permeability;
- simple care;
- moisture resistance;
- resistance to fading;
- good adhesion to any surface.
The coating is easy to apply, it is sold ready-made, which eliminates mixing errors. The coating forms a film that is not afraid of solar radiation and repels water.
The disadvantage is that the wall must be pre-treated with a primer from the same manufacturer. This increases the cost of work.
The most durable kind of products. The connecting element in it is liquid potash glass. Silicate type of coating is considered dangerous to health, so it is most often used to decorate facades. Long-lasting (up to 50 years of use) coating, moisture-repellent, fire-resistant and vapor-permeable. On sale in the form of a ready mixture of a wide range of colors.
Types of decorative plaster
The main division of decorative plaster into types is determined by the selected granulate (filler) and the corresponding qualities of the future coating.
· Structural decorative plaster.
Relief type of plaster. The base is silicate or acrylic, with marble crumb. Relief of the coating is provided by various application techniques. The coating is impact-resistant and resistant to the effects of atmospheric phenomena. A frequent choice of custom home builders for the exterior decoration of the house, or for covering the walls of rooms with high humidity. The only condition is compliance with the temperature and dry conditions during the application and drying of the material.
· Venetian decorative plaster.
Belongs to smooth types of plaster. It contains slaked lime and small marble chips. The coating is multi-layered and not easy to work with, but the result exceeds expectations. The surface after covering with Venetian plaster is similar to natural marble. When adding special coloring pigments, they achieve similarity with other precious materials. The addition of glossiness and matting of the surface occurs due to changes in the application technology. And at the finish they cover it with wax. This work is not easy and requires skill.
· Marseille wax
After drying, the mixture becomes embossed, but smooth to the touch. It can reproduce the pattern of stone, wood or sandstone. In the recesses, the shade is more saturated, and the main surface is lighter. The material filler is cellulose fiber. Patterns are formed manually using a trowel or improvised means. Marseille wax is suitable for interiors of Provence, country and other similar styles.
· Bark beetle
All types of decorative plaster are suitable for creating such a pattern, in which there is an additive in the form of granules of different sizes. Fine-grained coatings are usually used in interior decoration. The finished surface resembles wood eaten by worm beetles. Depending on the application technique, the grooves can be located vertically, horizontally or in a circle. The texture of the bark beetle will fit into the space with any design idea: hallway, corridor and other rooms.
It consists of several multi-colored layers with a pattern scratched on top. It is cut 5-6 hours after the distribution of the composition.
Products that create an unusual effect of a cracked, aged surface. Suitable for any base: concrete, brick, wood, plasterboard. First, the wall is painted with acrylic paint – it will be visible from under the cracks. To achieve a better decorative effect, it is distributed in multidirectional movements. The mixture is applied on top of the paint and left for 3-4 hours. In some cases, it is immediately warmed up with a hair dryer.
· Latex plastic
Composition with a smooth, slightly glossy texture imitating marble or other stone. The material is very moisture-resistant and elastic. The picture is obtained using coloring.
· Wet silk
Thanks to the mother-of-pearl particles, it resembles an overflow of flowing fabric. Wet silk is often used in decorating the kitchen, bedroom, and living room.
· Sea breeze
Rough coating with fine-grained sand and pearl dust in the composition.
On the usual monolithic composition, you can create a texture with various patterns: wave, dune, furrows, hatching. They are made using sponges, rollers, brushes, toothed tools, film.
How to choose decorative plaster for different rooms?
You need to choose products based on the characteristics of the room in which the repair is being carried out. For example, for the corridor, hallway, kitchen and bathroom, silicone or acrylic mixtures will be ideal, as they are moisture-resistant and easy to apply.
The first option is better, as this material has vapor permeability. In living rooms, you can experiment with different compositions. If the mixture is granular, you need to pay attention to the parameters of the granules. The more spacious the room, the larger the share. In small rooms, a wall with a large texture will look inharmonious.
The range of types, colors and compositions of decorative plaster is so diverse that even a capricious buyer will be able to find something to his liking. Thanks to decorative plaster, you will achieve a unique and impressive home decoration.
We determine the cost of applying decorative plaster to the wall per square meter
As a rule, the price for the work of 1 m 2 of decorative silk plaster is calculated based on the following factors:
- dismantling of the old coating from the walls;
- preliminary leveling and puttying of the surface;
- applying a soil layer;
- directly decorating the surface with decorative plaster;
- the presence of complex parts and configurations that will have to be processed;
- creation of various drawings and another decor;
- finishing with a protective layer of varnish.