Disputes between married couples over who will wash the dishes again have come to an end – dishwashers have solved this problem once and for all. Therefore, in many houses and apartments, such a convenient and often irreplaceable device began to occupy an important place. In addition, manufacturers offer a good assortment of equipment models in terms of size range. At the same time, men appreciated a dishwasher that can be installed independently, which many of them do. The main thing is that before connecting the dishwasher in the kitchen to the water supply and sewage system, you should read the instructions that the Sacramento electrician provides as part of the delivery.
Manufacturers advertise their products in a frenzy, calling them reliable and economical. But, if you do not provide the correct operating conditions for the device, then you cannot talk about any long-term and trouble-free operation of the equipment. Therefore, when installing and connecting a dishwasher, the following important requirements are taken into account:
- Providing the device with a powerful and reliable power supply system. This means that a separate cable with a grounding socket is connected to the dishwasher from the switchboard. A separate automatic switch and a PZV device are fixed to the cable in the shield. If it is not possible to provide a separate line, then it remains to connect the socket to the machine. except for the device, nothing else will be connected. At the same time, it is determined whether the cross-section of the cable is suitable for the power of the unit.
- The second communication network connected to the dishwasher is cold water. There is only one requirement here – the pressure in the water supply must meet the standards set by the manufacturer. These indicators must be specified in the product passport. For many models, they vary in the range of 1-10 atm. Less than the lower limit – insufficient incoming water. Above the upper one – the probability of rupture of sealing sleeves and gaskets, which will subsequently lead to leakage.
- The third connecting system is sewerage. The main condition set by manufacturers for connecting to this network is the distance from the device to the drain into the sewage system. It should not exceed 1.5 meters.
A pump is installed inside the dishwasher, which ejects used contaminated water. It has a certain power that provides the required ejection pressure. The pump is installed in the lower part of the structure, the discharge, with the help of a hose, comes out in the upper part, while the hose bends back down, and then connects to the sewer. The pump can provide repeated lifting, but no more. It is this distance that is acceptable. But if the sewer pipe in the kitchen ends in the corner of the room, and the machine is installed near the opposite wall, where there is a distance of 4-5 meters between them, then this does not mean that it is impossible to connect to the sewer in this location. In this case, the sewer pipe is extended to the device, or the dishwasher is connected with a long hose, the main part of the length of which is in an inclined position (from top to bottom) or in a horizontal position. At the same time, the factory drain hose is replaced with a new one, because joints in any connecting elements are unacceptable. These are places of possible leaks, especially if water under pressure moves along them.
It is easiest in this regard with the connection of desktop dishwashers. They are installed on the countertop of the kitchen set next to the sink, into which the sewage hose is lowered. The connection to the water supply is made through a mixer. Such dishwashers are weak, so the connection is made to a regular outlet. The photo below shows such a model.
First of all, the place of installation of the equipment is determined. Usually, dishwashers are mounted in the kitchen set next to the cabinet in which the sink is located. Water and sewage pipes are already connected to it, which makes it an ideal place for installing a dishwasher.
To make a connection to the water supply, a tee is installed on the water pipe, which will divide the one-pipe flow into a two-pipe system: to the mixer and to the dishwasher. Therefore, it is necessary to strictly follow the sequence of plumbing operations:
- The valve is blocked on the cold water riser.
- The pressure nut on the flexible metal hose connecting the faucet to the water pipe is unscrewed.
- A shut-off valve is installed on the nozzle, which is wound onto the thread using fum tape. This is an important element of the water supply network, with the help of which individual plumbing devices are disconnected from the water supply. When carrying out repairs, there is no need to turn off the entire system. Although the connection is made directly, without installing a shut-off valve.
- An adapter (tee) is screwed into the internal thread of the valve. Fum – tape is also used. A hose connecting to the sink faucet will be wound on one of its free nozzles, the second one is the nozzle for the water supply to the dishwasher.
- In order for the water entering the dishwasher to be clean, a rough cleaning filter is installed in front of the machine, which will retain large and medium-sized impurities: sand, rust, scale, etc. An American-type coupling is screwed into the pipe. It is convenient because it is detachable. The filter installed through it can be removed at any time, without disassembling the entire water supply line. And you will have to remove it regularly, because the filter is often clogged. Here, it is important to correctly choose the diameter of the coupling (it is usually indicated in inches), which should correspond to the diameter of the connecting pipe of the filter.
- And the water supply hose to the dishwasher is already connected to the filter. This completes the connection of the equipment to the water supply. It remains only to check whether there is no leakage at the docking points.
Then one important point is decided, on which water to connect the dishwasher: cold or hot. Inside the structure of the dishwasher are built-in heating elements, which are used to heat cold water to the desired temperature, indicated by the selected mode. That is, the device heats water on its own, which means that there is no point in pouring hot water into it. In addition, the quality of the liquid from the hot water supply system leaves much to be desired. In addition, a filter is installed in the supply system, which will improve the quality of incoming water. But keep in mind that hot water from the central network carries a large number of small and soluble impurities that are not retained even by a rough cleaning filter. And filters for hot water are more expensive than for cold water.
There are dishwashers on the market that manufacturers recommend connecting to the hot water supply system. With the apparent saving of electricity, the consumption of hot water will nullify all the advantages of such a connection. Therefore, it is better to install such models in private houses where a gas boiler or boiler is installed.
Connection to the sewage system
There are two options for independently connecting the dishwasher to the sewer:
- The drain hose is connected to the sewer pipe.
- The connection is made through the drain siphon of the kitchen sink.
In the first case, a sewer pipe is brought to the dishwasher, on which a 90° outlet is installed. If all drainage communications will be carried out in the cabinet under the sink, then several simple operations are carried out:
- The outlet through which the water from the sink drains into the sewer is dismantled.
- A tee is inserted in its place. The drain from the sink is attached to the vertical pipe, and the drain is removed to the horizontal pipe. The drain hose from the dishwasher is connected to the latter.
The second option is the use of a special siphon, in the design of which another nozzle is added. In the photo below, such a siphon model is shown. It is in the additional pipe that the drain hose from the dishwasher is inserted. This is the simplest option that does not require large investments.
Connection to power supply
Some connection positions have already been mentioned. Let’s just add that the outlet must withstand 16 A. The same applies to the machine installed in the switchboard. A three-core copper cable with a cross-section of at least 2 mm 2 is selected for connection .
Do not install a socket for a dishwasher with two or three sockets. It is not recommended to overload the line. Especially if you want to connect a dishwasher and a washing machine to one outlet. This should not be done.
All communication networks to dishwashers are connected and checked. It remains only to install the equipment in place. But there are certain conditions for setting up the device:
- The surface on which the dishwasher is installed must be flat and strong.
- The device is leveled with a level and adjustable legs. 2% skew is allowed.
- There is a gap of 5 centimeters wide between the appliance and the back wall of the kitchen set. It is used for ventilation.
After that, the machine is checked for quality work. The water supply valve is opened, the plug is inserted into the socket, and the device is turned on in idle mode without dishes. During operation, all joints are checked.
Conclusion on the topic
The scheme of including the dishwasher in the three systems of engineering communications of the house is not complicated. The main thing is to accurately meet the manufacturer’s requirements, which are indicated in the instructions, so you need to familiarize yourself with them before installation. There is no specific or strictly defined sequence of operations. That is, you can first connect to the sewer, and then to the water supply, or do it the other way around, as shown in the article.